Thursday, November 3, 2011

Week 11: Database Project

    I learned a lot during this project. For starters, I learned what a database was. Unlike Excel, which I had some rudimentary understanding of, I had never come into contact with a database nor did I know anyone who was familiar with one. In that sense, every in every aspect of this process I learned something.
    One thing I definitely learned was that, again unlike Excel, there is not a good "undo" function in a database. Once I finished the project-- the first time -- and began to start the scripting extra credit, I somehow removed a members information from the database (you have to love touch-pads). I searched futilely for quite sometime to find a way to restore the data. Finally, I just began anew. Luckily, I had gotten pretty quick with the process on a second (well actually 3rd) go around.
     One thing I would have added to the database would have been adding the "Membership Type" to the "Departed Member Report". My reasoning being that family memberships are going to be more expensive and therefore should be more aggressively sought after (followed-up with) by the business.
      Due to the type of data (i.e. not a whole lot of numerical data) there not a lot you could do with it. You could determine your male-to-female ratios i suppose, or look for a time period where there was an increased number of "Departed members" to try an determine if there was an underlying reason. Also, you could look for the newest members (especially individuals to target people that you could offer a "friend sign-up bonus" to: this would be a program where you give the member a free months membership if they can refer a friend). For the most part, from looking at the scavenger hunt and lecture, I don't see much that would apply with this particular data set.

No comments:

Post a Comment