Sunday, September 4, 2011

Wk. 2 Muddy(?) Blog Post, "Personal Computer."

I am not completely sure that I found this muddy, per se, but that I wanted to understand it more: the crystal oscillator. I especially found the terms to be interesting. One reason I was intrigued, was because of this concept of a crystal being used in so many devices (LCD screens, watches, and computers). Another reason is because "new-age" metaphysics uses similar terms when discussing the powers of crystals (resonance, vibration, etc.). First, I found the Wikipedia page for crystal oscillator: which describes it both simply and also enters into the more complex components.

Then, I looked into the metaphysical components of crystals. I surprised, though I vaguely remembered, that it was an IBM research scientist named Marcel Joseph Vogel, who was responsible for bridging the gap between computer science and metaphysics with his theories and the creation of the Vogel crystal. A man made crystal that supposedly has special properties regarding healing and meditation.. Though it is true that crystals has a place in metaphysical ideologies long before Mr. Vogel, what he did in bridging the scientific/metaphysical gap is akin to what some modern quantum physicists are doing with their theoretical science and metaphyisical spirituality (as can be seen in the film "What the (Bleep) Do We Know"

Finally, I was interested in the modding of internal clocks in computers. I think modding has become more and more common, as I have recently witnesses in the video game community (hackers ruin FPS's by the way). So, I looked for examples of modded internal clocks (crystal oscillators) in PC's and video game consoles.

The first two are more complicated, the last ones, having to do with different types os gameboys are more fun. This type of modding can be done to many electronic devices including controllers, music software, gaming systems, and more.

How to overclock a Nvidia graphics card:
http://youtu.be/qGQvmiRHSnw

and a PC CPU via BIOS:
http://youtu.be/bpwcQH-AATE

A modded crytal oscillator (in this case by simply replacing with a faster one) on an original Game Boy:
http://youtu.be/q9BgDMTfbyY

This link will show you the effects of this type of mod on a Nintendo DSI lite:
http://youtu.be/Z4WQg_XIddM

No comments:

Post a Comment